Wait...what? What? No way. It's been over a month? What?
I promise I did not fall off the face of the earth. I'm still here. The best way to describe the past few weeks: stressed. Let's recap. Do you think I can keep it short and sweet? Doubt it.
I had a terrific holiday! I was able to take a few days off of work, which is always nice. My usual week long vacation had to be split up this time because of some scheduling conflicts, but I was still able to enjoy my time off. It's always nice to spend time with family around the holidays. I received multiple gift cards to Barnes and Noble, which is super exciting because I ordered 9 books and 8 of them have arrived. My reading list is growing! I spent NYE by myself at home with Melody. She was a great date until she got into my Mary Kay bag and destroyed a couple of my brushes. I now have to keep this bag either in a chair or in the closet because she will dig for those brushes.
Speaking of books, my reading challenge for this year is 50 books. I couldn't make it through 38 books last year, so we will see how it goes. I've completed 4 so far, which is a big deal for a slow reader like me and I am into my 5th book. According to Goodreads, I am 1 book ahead of schedule! I'm hoping that since some of the books I want to read I have already read before, I will be able to accomplish this goal. Let's be friends! You can find me here. My bookcase at home is running out of space. That's exciting!
I single crocheted an afghan for Mrs. P for Christmas and that project consumed all of my free time. I was so happy I could make it for her though and judging by her reaction, I think she liked it too! The final measurements were 58" by 84". I'm so proud of the accomplishment, especially since I was basically self-taught. As exciting as it was, I was so happy to be done with it. :) I know Melody was too.
A couple years ago, I fully accepted my body the way it was. It's strong and curvy, even if it is a little overweight. Okay, a lot overweight. I'm proportioned and carry it well. I also hide my weight well for someone who is only 5'2". However, I have recently decided that I am so over feeling uncomfortable in many clothes. Particularly around the thighs and the breasts. Seriously, I can get so uncomfortable sometimes, it's not even funny. I created a simple workout program that outlines specific workouts 5 days a week. I only just started last night, so we will see if I stick to it. I haven't in the past, but maybe this time will be different? (That's hopeful thinking.) I kept it really simple and full of activities I enjoy. On Monday, I didn't do the specific exercises I planned, but I did do a 20 minute workout. At least I actually did something instead of saying "screw it" and sitting on my ass, like I usually do every Monday.
I wrote out my to-do list one day just to get everything out of my head. After I finished it, it was so long, I ended up having to split it up into 4 different categories. I think there were over 50 items on the original list. This resulted in 4 different to-do lists. That's alright though. Once I had everything organized, I was able to get a lot of things done. I've been working on this since Christmas and most of what I have left requires me to sit in front of a computer for an extended period of time. Of course, this is what's left because after sitting at a computer for 8 hours during the day, the last thing I want to do when I get home is sit in front of a computer. Also, I can think of better things to do on my weekends. However, these projects need to get completed in order for me to make progress, so I think this weekend I will finally buckle down and get them done. Especially since I am motivated by crossing things off a list and I am so sick and tired of seeing the same projects over and over again on my list. (Hopefully)
Last month, I made the decision not to renew my lease in my current apartment. The rent was going up again and 1) the space isn't worth that much, and 2) I couldn't afford it. So, I have been looking for a new place to live come the end of summer. This has been an incredibly stressful process because everything I can afford either 1) doesn't accept dogs or 2) is in an unsafe neighborhood. Also, my credit is terrible. What sucks the most about this is not just the budget, but the fact that since I live in a college town, this is the same time that all of the students are moving. Sigh. I found a great place thanks to a tip from a fellow MK consultant and I received a message yesterday that I've been accepted, so I am trying to work out the details to secure the space. Fingers crossed that I can get this taken care of by the end of the week. That would be a huge relief.
My patio door in my apartment had such a huge draft that every time the wind blew, my vertical blinds would do the wave. Even the maintenance crew was surprised with how bad the draft was. Now, I am very happy to say that the door has been replaced with a brand-spanking-new one! It's incredible. It's a beautiful white (instead of the ugly brown) and does not have a single draft. It's been framed in nicely too. I'm the only one in my building with a new door and that makes me smile. I'm hoping this will save on energy costs now. Seriously, it's amazing!
I think that's enough for now. Thanks for sticking around. We should be back on track now.
Wednesday, January 28, 2015
Tuesday, December 23, 2014
1. Our host may be gone for the week, but I'm still posting my ten.
2. I went to the dollar store for tissue paper on Sunday and they already had Valentine's stuff out.
3. With Christmas just around the corner, I can't help but think about the cleanup afterwards. I'm the kind of person that needs to get the decorations down before the new year. With limited vacation this year, it looks like the next week is going to be super busy. Remember, I put up 7 different trees this year.
4. This is awesome:
5. I bought the frame last night that I forgot over the weekend and when I went to wrap it, it was the wrong size. :(
6. Seriously, I need to stay off the food page of Pinterest. I keep finding more and more recipes to try. This wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't single.
7. It's not secret that I am introverted. Did you see this article from the Huffington Post? It's incredibly accurate.
8. I've been at my job for over 3 years now and I do not have a single photograph on my desk. That needs to change in the new year.
9. All I want to do now is read and cook. How does that happen? Those activities require completely opposite types of energy. I'm a weirdo.
10. Have yourself a Very Merry Christmas!!
Monday, December 22, 2014
How was your weekend? Are you all ready for Christmas this week? Can you believe that Christmas is Thursday? I'm completely blown away. This past weekend was full of festivities.
Friday: I left work early (after some negotiating) to take care of some personal business and to finish up the shopping. After 3 hours, I still forgot something. It's just a frame, so it will be okay. That night, it was the annual tractor parade in my hometown. The young farmers decorate their tractors and trailers for Christmas with lights and scenes and it is unbelievable! It's also a lot of fun to watch the kids get excited. On my way home, I turned the wrong way and ended up watching the parade again as they were finishing the route. Bonus!
Saturday: I have been feeling a little off, so I got myself some elderberry syrup and ended up sleeping until 10:30 am. That's quite the feat at my parents' house. :) Dad made a big breakfast like he normally does and then I spent the rest of the day working on a project. That evening, we all got dressed, picked up my Grandma, went to dinner at a terrific Mexican restaurant and then went to a very nice neighborhood to cruise and look at the light displays. These house are huge and have some beautiful displays. After that, we headed to the Magic Tree. I get to see this every week from the Mary Kay studio, but this was a chance to see it up close. It's so pretty!
Sunday: I didn't do anything all day except watch Christmas movies and work on my project. I eventually made it home to wrap while Melody insisted I throw her ball at the same time. That was quite the workout. I have to pick up something tonight and am waiting for one more gift to be delivered, but other than that, all of the presents are wrapped and under the tree. They looks so pretty! I also baked cookies for my people at work and it was a new recipe that I have never tried before. They are Mocha Crinkle Cookies and are so delicious!
It might get quite around here for the next week, so I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!
Tuesday, December 16, 2014
1. Sunday was Annie's birthday. Happy 8th Birthday Annie!!
2. After spending a lot at the grocery store yesterday, I forgot dog food and dishwasher packs. :(
3. There is a cookie exchange today. I hope my cookies are alright. The first batch unintentionally spent a little too much time in the oven. So I put them in the bottom of the bowl.
4. There are 8 days until Christmas Eve and I am sad to say that I have not finished my shopping. I only need to pick up a couple of things, but still, it's not done and I don't like that feeling.
5. I started reading The Great Santa Search (It's part of the Christmas Chronicles.) and this was the foreword. I hardly ever read the forewords, but I'm glad I did this time. There have been some recent developments for me that have presented problems. I wonder if this is a sign?
6. You know, yesterday morning, I only had 1 message in my email inbox. By the end of the day, there were 14 sitting there. I know that the total number of emails I received during the day are significantly less than most people, I still prefer inbox zero and I have accomplished that many times. I don't like to have more than 5 sitting there. Gives me anxiety.
7. I love the track packages while they are shipping but I can get really impatient. Especially when I know that my package is only a 2 hour drive away.
8. I've always dreamed of having a house like the one in Clue with a library, a study, a formal dining room, a conservatory, a big kitchen, a grand entry, etc. Something like that would be my dream home.
9. Last night, Melody walked in front of the Christmas tree and sat down all pretty-like and turned her sweet little head to me with her ears perked. As soon as I grabbed my camera to capture the adorable photo, the ornery little shit moved.
10. Would anyone like to come and organize all of my electronic files and emails for me? I don't want to spend the hours in front of the computer to do it. :)
It's amazing how quickly the holiday season goes by as a result of all of the busyness. This past weekend was no exception.
Friday: After a super successful holiday party at work, I came home to chill. My plan was to work on a project, but I was so exhausted that I just read my book. I wanted to finish it, but I had to put it down at midnight in order to go to sleep. There were only about 90 pages to go.
Saturday: I finished my book! It was really good. I would highly recommend The Count of Monte Cristo. So calculating, so scandalous, so intriguing. After reading, I got all loaded up with my dog, laundry, and overnight bag to head to my parents. Even though she is retired, my grandma always goes to her company Christmas party and this was the third year that I got to go as her date. It's an amazing party and it was such a shock to find out that I won the centerpiece at our table! I was the lucky one to get the 2 movies, popcorn, M&Ms, and Skittles. (It was a movie premier theme.) To make things even better, for the first time in 44 years, my grandmas won a prize!! I was so happy for her. Once I got home, I worked on my project a little bit, but it is nowhere near finished.
Sunday: The weather was incredibly warm, high 50s. I am really not a fan of temperatures that high in December, but my parents and I went out to enjoy it. We hit up our favorite brewery for drinks and munchies. It's always nice to hang out with people you care about. I came home in the evening and spent the rest of the night with a movie and my project. I did have to take time to make my grocery list because this week I have a cookie exchange, a chili cook off, and lunch and dinner for the week.
What was your weekend like? Did you get to relax or were you busy?